6 Ways To Standout in Your Career
You want to succeed at work. One way is to attract positive attention from your employer. Try these 6 strategies to stand out as a valuable employee.
Your work day is about more than simply getting the job done. It’s also about building a solid reputation and creating positive relationships. Doing your best every day will help you feel satisfied and fulfilled in your career.
1. Be reliable and dependable.
- Show up on time for every shift you’re scheduled for. Call in or send an email or text message well ahead of time if you must be late or absent. Be absent as little as possible.
- Be on time, whether you’re arriving for work, returning from breaks, going to staff meetings or completing tasks.
- Be prepared. Come to work willing to pay attention, follow directions and do the job.
- Do what you say you’ll do.
- Stay organized and keep your work area tidy. This habit shows your supervisor that you’re in control of what you’re doing.
- Do your best. Check the quality of your own work.
2. Be proactive.
- Take responsibility for what you do. Be accountable for any mistakes you make.
- Learn all you can about the organization and your role.
- Learn how to do all the tasks that are part of your job.
- Take initiative. Contribute without being asked. Just make sure you’re not stepping on someone else’s toes.
- Learn a skill that will help you stand out. For example, you might become the person everyone goes to for help with a computer program or with proofreading an important email.
3. Be a team player.
- Take on the task that needs to be done.
- Work with others to achieve common goals, whether or not your task is part of your job description.
- Jump at the chance to help a co-worker on a project. You’ll learn something new and earn a reputation as a helpful employee.
- Share information and resources.
- Support and encourage your co-workers.
- Respect the diverse opinions and experience of your co-workers.
4. Be flexible and adaptable.
- Be aware that you can’t control everything.
- Be ready and willing to compromise.
- Be prepared for the unexpected.
- Keep learning. It will help you handle change.
5. Be appropriate.
- Work safely. Know the health and safety hazards and regulations in your workplace.
- Dress appropriately for the work you’ve been hired to do.
- Be courteous. Treat others as you would like to be treated.
- Ask for help when you need it. Recognizing your limits is a sign of personal strength and maturity.
- Live up to your values. Be truthful and honest. Maintain your integrity.
6. Be positive.
- Show respect for yourself and others.
- Be enthusiastic about your work. Believe in your ability to do the job well.
- Smile and be friendly.
- Expect positive results.
Stand out at work and build your career!
When you shine at work, you’re also investing in your future. Your employer will appreciate your efforts, opening the door to advancement or a glowing reference if the time comes for you to move on.
Source: Alberta alis